When you’re in the mood for just a little bit of cake, not the whole shebang, and you also don’t have the time to invest in mixing, baking, cooling, icing – mug cakes to the rescue!
It’s no wonder these are so popular. You likely have most of the ingredients on hand, and they’re so quick and easy to make – plus you get just enough for one or two quick servings. Who said instant gratification isn’t a good thing?
We love this recipe utilizing our Earl Grey tea. We added orange zest and orange juice to bring out the orange bergamot oil flavors in Earl Grey even more. Also, before you start brewing the tea, don’t – this recipe uses the actual tea leaves for added texture and because it just makes a prettier finished product. Brew the tea after the cake is done for two cuppas: one cake, one tea!
Earl Grey Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- ½ tsp Earl Grey loose tea
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- ¼ C sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- ⅓ C all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, orange zest, and tea. Cook for 45-60 seconds on high heat, until butter is melted. Allow mixture to cool slightly. Whisk in sugar, egg, vanilla, milk, and orange juice.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Add to wet ingredients and whisk until batter is well combined. Divide evenly into two 10-oz. microwave-safe mugs.
- Microwave on medium for 60 seconds, then stir the batter with a fork. Microwave on high for an additional 90-120 seconds, until the cake is firm and set.