When we put together our Very Merry Harney Hauliday collection for Harneymarkt, everything we chose was about celebrating the beginning of the holiday season. We think the perfect recipe to pair with this group is just good old-fashioned gingerbread. It’s the perfect warm and spicy transition from fall to the true start of the holidays. Enjoy it with a cuppa Gingerbread Festival for a real partea!
Harney Hauliday Gingerbread
- 1½ C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Gingerbread Festival loose tea (2 sachets, cut open)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ C packed dark brown sugar
- ⅔ C mild-flavored molasses
- ⅔ C boiling water
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9” square pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour, or grease the pan with butter and lightly coat it with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, Gingerbread Festival tea, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, molasses, and boiling water. When the mixture is lukewarm, whisk in the egg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined and there are no lumps. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the edges look dark and the middle feels firm to the touch. Set the pan on a rack to cool slightly, then cut into squares and serve.
- If desired, sprinkle the top with confectioners sugar or top with whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon.
Print the recipe card here.