Our Merry and Bright collection is all about those two Christmas signature colors, red and green. That’s why this Strawberry Matcha Cake Roll is a matcha made in heaven for this holiday collection – we think yule love it! Serve this tasty and colorful cake at your next gathering and impress your guests with something a little different than the usual holiday fare.
Strawberry Matcha Cake Roll
- 6 eggs
- ½ C granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp Organic Everyday Matcha
- 1 C cake flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅓ C powdered sugar for dusting
- ½ C heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 2-3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 7 oz fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
Sponge Cake Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 16.5 x 11.5 inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix matcha powder with 1 tablespoon hot water until smooth.
- Separate egg yolks and white. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and ¼ cup of sugar until pale and tripled in size, about 2 minutes. Mix in the matcha paste.
- In a mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy. Add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar one tablespoon at a time. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add half of the whipped egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Gently fold the batter with a spatula until almost smooth, then add the remaining whipped egg whites. Carefully fold the batter until smooth.
- Sift the cake flour and salt. Gently fold it until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread the batter evenly and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, lay a clean kitchen towel on the counter and generously dust with powdered sugar.
- Once the cake is out of the oven, immediately invert it on the prepared kitchen towel. Peel off the parchment paper and roll it with the towel and all – this helps the cake roll without cracking. Set the rolled cake on a cooling rack and cool completely.
Whipped Cream Instructions:
- In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream on low speed until frothy.
- Add sugar and continue to whip on medium speed until hard peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To Assemble the Cake Roll:
- Once cooled completely, unroll the cake and spread half of the whipped cream over the cake, and sprinkle chopped strawberries.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream over the strawberries and roll the cake into a log.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve. Refrigerate the cake, covered, if not served right away.
Print the recipe card here.